FAQs-Frequently Asked Questions for United Way of Eastern New Mexico
How much of my United Way donation stays local?
- 100% of individual donations to UWENM stay in Curry and Roosevelt Counties supporting local programs and community building activities.
Who makes the decisions as to how the money donated to United Way Eastern New Mexico is distributed?
- Local volunteers! Every year 40-50 volunteers review the grant applications, listen to presentations from the applying agencies and submit the recommended funding levels to UWENM Board of Directors for approval. Because UWENM funding decisions are made by community volunteers, those decisions best reflect the needs, issues, and values of your community. The Board of Directors feels that this is the best way to ensure that UW stays true to the values of our donors.
- Funds raised in a county go toward grants in that county, so a donor in Portales can know that her gift is helping her Roosevelt County neighbors. Every year the grant review process described above is held in two separate sessions--one in each county.
How does United Way of Eastern New Mexico stay accountable to donors and the community?
- The most important level of accountablity is our Board of Directors. The Board meets monthly; sets the direction of United Way; hires the Executive Director; approves and monitors the budget; approves grant funding decisions and strategy; and oversees the annual fundraising campaign. The Board is made up of 15 leaders from Curry (10) and Roosevelt (5) Counties to reflect the area we serve.
- Each year UWENM has an Audit completed to review our processes and accuracy of our finances. Click year for Audits: 2014; 2013; 2012; 2011; 2010.
- Each year UWENM files the IRS Form 990 describing the work and finances of the previous year. Click year for IRS 990 Forms: 2014; 2013; 2012; 2011; 2010.
- Each year our Annual Report is published to share how funds impacted the community and honor our donors. Click year for reports for 2014; 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
How much of my donation to UWENM goes to administrative expense?
Zero. Because Corporate Cornerstone companies pay the managment and fundraising costs of UWENM, 100% of your donation goes to support local programs and intiatives impacting Education, Income, and Health.
What charities are eligible to apply for United Way Community Grants Funds?
- Any 501( c )3 non-profit that serves residents of Curry and/or Roosevelt Counties with programs that impact Education, Income, or Health may apply for Community Grant Funds. Other criteria also apply.
What charities am I allowed to "earmark" my donation for?
Any 501( c )3 you choose. At UWENM, your choice is honored 100%. We believe that you can be most generous when you are allowed to give where your heart leads you.
Does UWENM fund Planned Parenthood?
- No. UWENM has never given grant funds to Planned Parenthood.
Questions. Comments. Suggestions.